ProVeg International is a food awareness organisation with the mission to reduce the global consumption of animals by 50% by 2040.
ProVeg is working to transform the global food system by replacing animal-based products with plant-based and cultured alternatives. It works with decision-making bodies, companies, investors, the media, and the general public to help the world transition to a society and economy that are less reliant on animal agriculture and more sustainable for all humans, animals, and our planet.
ProVeg has offices in ten countries across four continents and is active around the world. ProVeg has permanent observer status with the UNFCCC, special consultative status with ECOSOC, is accredited for UNEA, and has received the United Nations’ Momentum for Change Award.
ProVeg and the Smart Protein project
ProVeg leads Work Package 7 on communication and dissemination. From the creation and maintenance of the website to LinkedIn posts, newsletters, organisation of webinars, press releases, and the creation of the Smart Protein Stakeholder Advisory Board, ProVeg is behind all activities related to the communication and dissemination of the project, working closely with all Smart Protein partners.
ProVeg also contributes to market and consumer research and has released two reports as part of the project: the ‘Plant-based Food in Europe: how big is the market’ report, which explores the European plant-based food sector, and the report ‘What consumers want: a survey on European consumer attitudes towards plant-based foods, with a focus on flexitarians’.
ProVeg’s impact areas
In order to achieve its mission to reduce the global consumption of animals by 50% by 2040, ProVeg has five main impact areas:
- Advancing plant-based and cultivated alternatives: ProVeg supports and connects startups and global partners in advancing plant-based and cultivated innovation.
- Institutional and corporate engagement: ProVeg influences and supports businesses, decision-makers, and institutions in developing, providing, and promoting healthy, compassionate, and sustainable plant-based options.
- Policy and advocacy: ProVeg works with governmental and intergovernmental agencies, NGOs, and researchers to create plant-forward policies and practices.
- Movement building: ProVeg builds strong, collaborative networks by empowering and supporting other NGOs, alliances, advocacy groups, and communities.
- Public education and media: ProVeg provides inspiration and support to reduce and eliminate animal-based products from peoples’ diets.